This Month’s Topics
FAST AND PRAY MONDAY – January 1 or 2, 2018
TOPIC: Vision & Destiny Rescue
PLEASE PRAY FOR THE FOLLOWING…
1. That County Liners will be inspired by the January Vision Series, “Chase the Lion.” Also pray every person who calls County Line home will be sensitive to the Holy Spirit as to how He may want to use them to participate in this vision.
2. That God would use the generosity of County Liners to bless the ministry of Destiny Rescue throughout the month of January and through the Daddy/Daughter Dance on February 24.
3. That God would continue to use and protect Destiny Rescue as they rescue young girls from human trafficking around the world.
4. That the girls rescued by Destiny Rescue will open their hearts to the restorative and healing power of Jesus Christ.
5. That God would use County Liners to provide generously for our food bank on “Souper” Bowl Sunday, February 4.
“I humbled my soul with fasting.” Psalm 35:13 What is Christian fasting? The Bible speaks of fasting as abstaining from food for a time in order to grow spiritually, glorify God, enhance our spirit, receive healing, and grow our prayer life. Fasting is not a way to get God to do what we want; fasting changes us, not God. It is more about denying our natural appetites and raising our spiritual appetites. Fasting should also be confidential and not something you tell others you are doing (see Matthew 6:16-18).
TYPES OF FASTING Fasting can take many forms. For instance, you could fast from things that are a sacrifice for you like internet surfing, computer games, shopping, media, TV, radio, music, Twitter, texting, etc. Be creative, design your own type of fast. Ask God what kind of fast he would have you do. Fasting from food is not to be taken lightly. If you are new to fasting food please consult your doctor.
FOOD FASTING OPTIONS You may fast from all or selected meals in a day or from “between meal” snacks or after meal deserts. You may also fast from particular foods or drinks like meat, dairy, coffee, tea, alcohol, pop, chocolate, etc.. You may decide to fast from solids and only take in liquids such as juices, soups, smoothies. A ‘Daniel’ fast – as found in the book of Daniel 10:3 – where he “ate no choice food, no meat or wine touched my lips.” Fast from delicacies, stick to fresh fruit and vegetables. The 5 Food Fast – (just eating nuts, fruit, vegetables, yogurt, red meat).
FASTING TIPS Plan your fast. Pray and ask God for protection, strength, and wisdom during your fast. Look ahead because you may have to rearrange your schedule or change your grocery list. Start small. As with anything, fasting requires practice to become better at it. Set yourself a challenging, but realistic goal. Begin and end well. When fasting from food, the meals before and after the fasting period should be smaller and lighter than usual. End your fast gradually. Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
REDEEM THE TIME Where possible, the time that is not spent on eating (or whatever else you choose to fast from) is spent on your relationship with God, prayer, reading the Bible and seeking the Lord.
WARNINGS Do not fast from water. Also, fasting from food is unwise if you are diabetic, hypoglycemic, prone to migraines, pregnant, taking medication, or recovering from sickness. Do not fast from red meat if you are inclined to anemia. If you have any doubts/questions, please talk to a health care professional. Fasting is entirely voluntary. WE ALWAYS RECOMMEND CONSULTING YOUR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL FOR ADVICE BEFORE UNDERTAKING ANY FOOD FAST.